Friday, January 11, 2008

Declaration:

The Rights of Womyn 2007
1) To be a subject person, free from objectification
2) To be a complete human being without feeling the need to attach myself to a man
3) To stand on my own (and to find the courage to put this into action)
4) For it not to be assumed that I need or want help crossing footpaths, getting in and out of boats, etc. just because I have a vagina
5) To not have my intellect questioned
6) To be able to walk by myself at night without fear of harm
7) To grow up in a culture free of fear
8) To leave my body hair as it may fall, as nature intended, without this decision being questioned
9) For it not to be assumed that I want or need anything carried for me
10) To make equal pay for the same amount of work
11) To have control over my body and my body image
12) To have a choice in when and how I procreate
13) To be viewed always as a human being, and never as a possession
14) For my relationship status not to be regarded as the most important thing about me
15) When I breastfeed in public, my breast’s function is for food, not sexual pleasure
16) Just because I am small-breasted, doesn’t mean that I want a padded bra
17) To have equality when engaging in sexual relations
18) To be able to love whomever I choose in any manner I wish to present it
19) It’s OK to get married and be a housewife if I so choose
20) To not have to wonder if my “right” to choose will be taken away from me by individuals who have no chance of becoming pregnant
21) To wear my skirts as long, short, tight, loose, as I want on any given day and still not give a fuck about what “they” think
22) To use the word fuck as both a verb and declaration and never feeling bad about how good it feels
23) To know my nipples are telling the world the temperature and not feel like I need to fold my arms over them
24) To say to those staring at said nipples, “Yeah, man, it is really fucking cold in here! Now go get your own thermometer”
25) To remember that my womanhood is a gift, that my period cleanses me, that my breasts provided food, that my vagina released the most beautiful soul I know. That is power
26) To be able to hitchhike without it assumed that there’s an option for a “favor” in return
27) To be able to fail at something, and not have others say that women don’t have what it takes
28) To be able to speak my mind without having to decorate my body beforehand
29) To not have to destroy myself in order to get what I want
30) In a competition, to be seen as a competitor first
31) To not have it assumed that I hate men just because I love women
32) To be able to dress sexily without fear of the male gaze
33) To have equal respect and talk time in important conversations of politics, spirituality, etc. … not end up being a passive listener
34) For ideas and concerns of women to be heard at the level that it will be taken seriously and met with respectful action
35) To be given the opportunity to do the same work as men do, if I desire the position huhmmmm male farmers
36) To never have to say “I wish I were a guy, because then I could……..”
37) To feel validated when I want to process my emotions with my partner or for my partner to be appreciative when I give him space to process his
38) To be seen as being just as capable as my male peers
39) To not have to justify why I don’t want to talk to you or why you make me feel uncomfortable
40) To never have to feel ashamed for developing (breasts and curves and getting my period)
41) To not have to own and wear labels for having sensitive feelings and expressing emotions because it’s a “female thing”
42) To not have my sexual preference assumed, I mean, just because I’m feminine, don’t assume I’m into guys
43) To be able to take a fucking day off, if I want to stay at home and bleed
44) To be able to breastfeed in public
45) To be completely and totally independent and be able to stand on my own, not needing to rely on a man for financial support or any other support for that matter. To do what makes me happy instead of trying to please everyone around me
46) To be accepted as humansexual (bi) and not be perceived as “easy” or as a “slut.” To never have to feel objectified by either women or men
47) To go to an auto mechanic and not be treated like I’m stupid, I actually know how to change my own air filter, thank you very much…
48) To be seen as an individual, wife and mother in that order. To never hear “What’s a successful woman like you doing at home?” To be honored by my sisters because I’ve chosen to cultivate my own children’s lives by being fully present in their world. To live and let live
49) To go to bed at night knowing that if I were to die in combat while standing up for what I believe in, fighting for my country and all the freedoms my country stands for, that my life (and death) won’t be looked upon as a tragedy any greater than that of my fallen brother’s
50) To be able to publicly hold someone with compassion and all emotion, and not be looked down upon as weak or emotional for being able to do so, that my friends, is pure strength
51) To be looked at in the EYES rather than the BREASTS when being spoken or listened to
52) To be able to succeed and hold my head high while being publicly acknowledged in front of others whom I will soon direct (WHO POSSESS PENISES)
53) To not be made to feel that I am out of my league simply because I am higher within my league than any other vagina-possessing human has ever been…and then to have the strength to inspire and encourage other womyn to not follow me, but PASS ME, with godspeed!
54) To not have it assumed that because I possess a pair of breasts and a gina that it's going to take me an hour in the bathroom to get prepared for a fun night out!
55) To be able to walk in the dark alone and not fear the worst
56) To not have to do the job 150% better than any male peer just to be considered capable
57) To not be called overly emotional or too sensitive about anything
58) To not have to be "nice"
59) To not feel a rush when I hear a stranger walk behind me
60) As womyn, we want to have the equal opportunities throughout every aspect and area of our lives that are promised to us in our country - NOT JUST IN WORK. We should have been able to participate in football in high school. Hey, we can tackle just as well (IF NOT BETTER) without a penis. AND....we shouldn't be judged for wanting to participate in a more physically demanding sport, job, or activity. Hey, they let the boys sing, act, and dance - WHY CAN'T WE tackle, wrestle, and intercept?
61) Space 4 ur addition, send it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
womynsolidarity@gmail.com

No comments: